Powered By
widgetmate.com
Sponsored By
Digital Camera

Viewed best in Firefox

Ο διάνοια ξέρει την ιδέα μέσω της εικόνας
"The intellect knows the idea through the image," Aristotle, De Anima, III, 7

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

* My Own Mind is My Own Church ~ "The Age of Reason," Thomas Paine

Probably more than anyone, Thomas Paine was responsible for the formation of the United States as the world's first secular government. He and many other founding fathers were Deists, hence the argument that the United States was not to be a Christian nation. Wiser than we are today, they foresaw the problems we would have as a "nation under God." They were correct.

Photo from Wikipedia


Quotes from The Age of Reason
by Thomas Paine, 1794


"I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy.

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

"The opinions I have advanced … are the effect of the most clear and long-established conviction that the Bible and the Testament are impositions upon the world, that the fall of man, the account of Jesus Christ being the Son of God, and of his dying to appease the wrath of God, and of salvation by that strange means, are all fabulous inventions, dishonorable to the wisdom and power of the Almighty; that the only true religion is Deism, by which I then meant, and mean now, the belief of one God, and an imitation of his moral character, or the practice of what are called moral virtues-and that it was upon this only (so far as religion is concerned) that I rested all my hopes of happiness hereafter."

"Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is none more derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory in itself, than this thing called Christianity."

"We can know God only through his works. We cannot have a conception of any one attribute but by following some principle that leads to it. We have only a confused idea of his power, if we have not the means of comprehending something of its immensity. We can have no idea of his wisdom, but by knowing the order and manner in which it acts. The principles of science lead to this knowledge; for the Creator of man is the Creator of science; and it is through that medium that man can see God, as it were, face to face."

Thomas Paine's Writings

No comments:

“God’s signs,” George W. Bush declared, “are not always the ones we look for. We learn in tragedy that his purposes are not always our own...Neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth can separate us from God’s love. May he bless the souls of the departed, may he comfort our own, and may he always guide our country.”
That was said on September 14, 2001, three days after the World Trade Center horror. Reverend Bush's sermon made me feel even worse.

I absolutely believe what Ellie [Contact] believes--that there is no direct evidence, so how could you ask me to believe in God when there's absolutely no evidence that I can see?

~ Jodie Foster

I don't believe in Heaven and Hell," he says. "I don't know if I believe in God. All I know is that as an individual, I won't allow this life--the only thing I know to exist--to be wasted.

~ George Clooney

TIME: Quote of the Day

Vigilance when traveling ...

codepinkalert.org



ATHEISTS ~ BRIEF LIST

Steve Allen Woody Allen Susan B. Anthony Lance Armstrong Isaac Asimov Irving Berlin Ray Bradbury Marlon Brando Warren Buffett Richard Burton George Carlin Dick Cavett Charlie Chaplin Arthur C. Clarke Richard Dawkins Phyllis Diller Walt Disney Dr. Dean Edell Thomas Edison Larry Ellison Larry Flynt Henry Ford Bill Gates Stephen Hawking Robert Heinlein Ernest Hemingway Katharine Hepburn Molly Ivins Larry King Tom Leykis Barry Manilow Henry Miller Jack Nicholson Florence Nightingale Madalyn Murray O'Hair George Orwell Penn & Teller Ayn Rand Ron Reagan Jr. Christopher Reeve Gene Roddenberry Carl Sagan Charles Schultz Neil Simon Howard Stern Linus Torvalds Ted Turner Mark Twain Jesse Ventura Bruce Willis Steve Wozniak Frank Lloyd Wright Celebrity Atheists

Must Read Books ...







NOTICE

YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF THE INTERNET. CLICK HERE
TO START OVER.

IN CASE YOU'VE EVER WONDERED WHAT THE END OF THE
INTERNET LOOKS LIKE, VOILA! CLOSING UP SHOP: